So today I wanted to give you the low down on chia seeds and give you my top 12 reasons why you should be incorporating them into your food!
1. They contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.
2. They help to balance blood sugar levels by slowing the process of starches to sugars.
3. They help to replace amino acids after your workout.
4. Chia seeds are considered a complete protein, it contains all the essential amino acids to repair muscle tissue.
5. They help with on-going cleansing because their fibrous gelatinous material around them promotes optimal digestion by keeping your colon hydrated and making sure foods move through optimally so that waste doesn't end up being stored in your fat cells.
6. Their outer shell is easily broken up upon consumption so there is no need to grind them up (unlike flaxseeds) prior to eating them, your body will be able to absorb all the nutrients without grinding them up.
7. They contain an extremely rich plant source of omega-3 fatty acids.
8. Chia oil contains 64% concentrated omega-3 fatty acids which is good for hormonal balance, nerve function, and many more.
9. Chia seeds are high in antioxidants which helps them stay fresh at room temperature for up to two years without any preservatives unlike flax seeds that go rancid much more easily.
10. Those same antioxidants help to eliminate aging free radicals in our body that are created from our environment, poor food choices, as well as oxidative stress from intense extended workouts.
11. Contain calcium as well as minerals magnesium and boron which enable calcium to be absorbed.
12. They are pretty tasty!
(All the information above was found in a book I have from Kimberly Snyder! )
p.s. Chia seeds are best eaten when soaked in some sort of liquid before consuming, because they do swell and get bigger and if you ingest them raw in large quantities you may come into trouble... also if you ingest them raw they could actually soak and swell in your stomach and actually dehydrate you! That is not what we want so be sure to soak them first! ... more important info about eating theme can be found here!
I hope you enjoyed this post 😉 and if you want to start incorporating chia seeds right away, try my super easy Healthy Chocolate Chia Superfood Breakfast ! The flavor is pretty earthy but it's SO good for you!
More Recipes with Chia seeds:
and don't forget to sign up for emails so we can stay healthy together!