Healthy Apple Crisp that is naturally sweetened with maple syrup, very simple only takes about 10 minutes to prep, vegan and gluten free!
It’s Friday and I say out with the old and IN with the new! Forget about the old sugar loaded apple crisp that puts you in a sugar coma for days! HA!
This Healthy Apple Crisp is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and spiced up with cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. It’s got the crunchy crumble topping that you know is your favorite wink wink! …At least it’s my favorite! 😉
Do you remember the Easy Berry Crumble? Well this is SO similar and after the berry one I couldn’t stop! You are going to feel like a pro baker after you make this super simple crisp!
Here’s how it goes, apple crisp could not be any easier…
Chop the apples, add maple syrup, a dash of vanilla and some spices… give it a toss and start prepping the crumble topping!
For the topping you simple add oats, almond meal, maple syrup, vanilla and spices with some soft coconut oil and mash it all up together! Scoop it over the apples and bake away!
How simple right? I knew you would think so!
One little thing to note or those who are used to the sugar loaded soggy apple kind of crisps… this one is a little different the apples don’t get as soggy, they hold their shape. They get soft and warm on the outside but the center keeps a little bit of a crisp to them… I thought about trying to “fix” that to make it resemble the sugary apple crisps more but I decided I really didn’t want to, it feels fresh this way and Nick and I agreed that it tastes pretty darn delicious this way! So I left it as-is! 😉
Those tiny little chunks under the oat-y crumble topping tastes like a warm apple heaven!
And the nicecream let’s talk about that for a second!!! Of course you can use a different dairy free ice cream if you want but nice cream is just frozen bananas so it is healthier than a vegan ice cream loaded with added sugars! you can check out this YouTube video of mine so see how to make nice cream, it's a chunky monkey version but you will get the basic idea of it!
Trust me you want the nicecream with this! 😉 It’s going to feel like an indulgent dessert when in reality it’s a super healthy dessert in disguise!
This Healthy Apple Crisp is:
Very few ingredients
Perfect for family gatherings
Smells like apple pie! 😉 p.s. you could totally do a pie crust for the bottom if you feel ambitious!
I hope you give it a try and leave a comment and rating below its super helpful! Also take a pic and take me on social media I love seeing what you make!
I hope you give this a try and let me know what you think!
Leave a comment and a rating if you do try this!
Also take a pic and tag us on social media!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Healthy Apple Crisp
Naturally sweetened Healthy Apple Crisp.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Category: Apple Crisp / Dessert
- BOTTOM apple layer:
- - 4-5 Apples chopped into bite sized chunks (I used red Honey Crisp apples, pick your favorite one)
- - 1 ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- - ½ teaspoon vanilla
- - ¼ teaspoon all spice
- - ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- - ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- - 2 cup rolled oats
- - 3 tablespoon Almond meal (I use Bob’s Red Mill almond meal)
- - 3 ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- - ½ teaspoon vanilla
- - 2 ½ tablespoon coconut oil (soft but not melted, pop in fridge for 10 minutes if it’s melted)
- - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- - ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- - ⅛ teaspoon all spice
- Nicecream on the side.
- 3-4 blended frozen bananas with a splash of water. * (see notes)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and get a pie dish out.
- Start by washing and chopping the apples, place them in a big bowl and add the additional bottom apple layer ingredients ensuring the apples get well coated!
- Then pour the bottom layer into the pie dish, add the topping ingredients all in a large bowl and stir until everything is well mixed!
- Scoop the top crumble mixture over the top of the apples, I find it easiest to use a large spoon and spoon it over the apples in several scoops and then smooth it out so it is evenly covering the apples.
- Place in the oven and bake for 55-65 minutes, the top should be golden brown and crisp-y and the apples should be soft but not mushy.
*If you notice the top getting too brown simply remove it from the oven and cover it with tin foil to help prevent any further browning.
** if you pull it out of the oven and the center apples are still too crisp for your liking then cover the top with tin foil so it doesn’t burn the crust and pop it back in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
***For the nicecream, take very ripe bananas and peel them and freeze them. Remove from the freezer cut them into chunks and blend them with about 1-2 tablespoon water pushing the sides down as needed and continuing to blend until the bananas start to melt and become a soft serve ice cream looking texture. (if you don’t think you can chop the bananas once frozen then I suggest you peel and freeze them whole for 30 minutes then remove and chop them and place them back in the freezer until completely frozen at least 3 hours… the reason you can’t chop them before freezing is because they will all stick together unless you place them on a baking sheet spaced out.)
the cinnamon and spice aroma will make you feel comfy and cozy!