Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowl with Spicy Tahini Sauce! quick + easy to make. Perfect for meal prepping, packed with protein, Vegan, GF and Oil Free.
Friendssss!!! what better way to end the week than with a Mexican inspired super easy burrito bowl recipe?!
In this Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowl I used chickpeas instead of black beans, I know the traditional Mexican way is the black beans which you can totally use instead but I thought it would be fun and delicious to switch things up and use chickpeas instead…plus I secretly like them more than black beans so that mighttt have been another reason why also! 😉
Of course if you are rice person you can always use that instead of quinoa as well… I feel like that is obvious but ya know… I gotta at least mention it. Plus I like the quinoa because it packs a lot of protein as well as other vitamins + minerals.
SO… if you have been around here for a while you know I like to make things that are “meal prep” -able (not even a word, I know…) and you will also know that by “meal prep” I don’t mean calorie count or restrict and portion control everything, I just mean make extra of the things that are easily stored in the fridge, so you have a good whole foods meal ready to assemble or grab n’ go when you need a healthy option so you don’t go grabbing that bag of chips! or just simply have your work lunch ready for the next couple days!
Either way, this recipe is for about 2 but you can easily double the recipe so you have lunch prepped for the week, you can put everything together just make the dressing and put it in a container on the side.
For the quinoa, I like to cook mine plain in water because I like the flavors to come from the other ingredients like sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado and then top it with a flavorful but still light dressing…kind of like my 5 Ingredient Quinoa Superfood Breakfast Bowl which was topped with fruit instead of a dressing (great break idea right there wink’ wink’) … BUT if that’s not your thang’ then please cook the quinoa in half water and half low sodium veggie broth like mentioned in the recipe because this will really add a lot of flavor to the dish!
A few things about this Healthy Quinoa Burrito Bowl:
Super easy and healthy
Great for meal prepping
Flavorful, clean and delicious
Packed with protein, vitamins and minerals
I hope you give this a try and let me know in the comments and ratings below what you think! Also snap a pick and tag me on social media I love connecting with ya’ll!
- - ½ cup dry quinoa (rinsed and cooked per instructions, I use water but for added flavor you can use half water and half low sodium veggie broth)
- - ½ cup chickpeas or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed if canned, pre-cooked if using dry beans- you can sub any other bean you like)
- - ½ cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- - ½ cup tomatoes (cherry, grape, roma anything you like)
- - ½ ripe avocado chopped
- - ¼ purple onion chopped
- Spicy Tahini Sauce:
- - 1 TBSP natural tahini
- - ⅛ tsp apple cider vinegar
- - ⅛ tsp cayenne powder
- - ¼ tsp onion powder
- - ¼ tsp chili powder
- - pinch black pepper
- - 1½ - 2 TBSP water to thin it out
- (TIP: if you like to meal prep, make extra of all this so it’s ready to go when you want to have it… make the dressing fresh each time or store in a separate container in fridge)
- Start by first cooking quinoa according to directions on package. I cook mine in water but if you want more flavor you can cook it in half water and half low sodium veggie broth)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, cook corn and chop up other ingredients. (if you would like to add chickpeas and corn to the pot of quinoa for the last 5 minutes this will steam/cook them and save on washing more dishes!)
- prepare sauce by mixing everything in a small bowl and stirring really well until it forms a creamy consistency.
- Assemble! quinoa on the bottom and then start adding the rest of the chopped ingredients on top and end with drizzle the sauce over it all!
- Serves about 2