This Healthy Veggie Rice Bowl has corn, peas and broccoli mixed with brown rice over a bed of lettuce and a side of avocado! It is vegan and gluten free and perfect for a light healthy lunch.
I hope you enjoyed the last two dessert recipes and had a wonderful Valentine’s Day.
Since the chocolate fudge and the coconut balls were so rich in chocolate-y delicious-ness I needed to share a healthy recipe… who am I kidding, I usually share healthy recipes anyways because… it-just-tastes-good and it makes you feel good! 😉
Let’s take a second away from the recipe and talk about the weather, it’s STILL cold! Someone that lives in a warm climate right now please send some sunshine and palm trees to me! 😉
Ok I know you don’t want to hear me complain about how I am sitting in front of the heater right now writing this! So let’s get to this Healthy Veggie Rice Bowl! You may have already seen my other veggie rice and this is similar... but not at the same time.
I used brown rice for this recipe because it’s super filling and kind of has a nice nutty flavor. For the veggies I used peas, corn, broccoli and onion which if you ask me peas are everythingggg! I’ll seriously eat peas anytime I LOVE them!
I put this over a bed of lettuce because you can always use a little bit more greens in your diet and this way its way more interesting than a salad.
I also added half a sliced avocado on the side because seriously YOU-NEED-TO-TRY-IT 😉 the creamy avocado with rice is totally on point! Just try it trust me.
For the dressing I have two options listed, one is lighter with less sodium and a more natural clean flavor and the other one is more of a fried rice taste which I honestly rarely ever do because I usually don’t like to add that much salt in my dressing but I wanted to add that option for those of you who do love it!
Also this recipe is for a pretty big batch, usually I do smaller recipes but for this you want to make extra to eat for lunch the next day, or maybe you have a big family to feed either way make the whole batch!
check out some of my favorites on amazon also!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Healthy Veggie Rice Bowl
Healthy Veggie Rice Bowl
- Prep Time: 60 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Rice
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice (cooked according to directions on package)
- 15 oz. can of low sodium corn (rinsed and drained, can or frozen works)
- 15 oz. of peas (canned or frozen)
- 2 cups of broccoli (washed and roughly chopped)
- ½ small white onion chopped
- Version one:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a squeezed lemon
- ½ a squeezed lime
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- Version Two, Asian inspired:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Low sodium tamari sauce to taste (or soy sauce)
- ½ a squeezed lemon over the top
- SERVE WITH:
- Cook rice according to directions on your package. Once done cooking, use a strainer and RINSE the rice.
- Chop your broccoli and onion and place in a sauté pan on medium heat (wait until the rice only has 15 minutes left before starting this step)
- Once rice is done add you corn, peas, and rice to the sauté pan, stir together and add your sauce/seasoning of choice.
- Serve with a side of lettuce and avocado for extra fiber and filling healthy-ness.
- Serves 4-6 depending on if you serve as a side or main meal.
I used canned corn and peas but if you choose frozen vegetables then you need to add them to the pan with the onions and broccoli.
Clean. Simple. Fresh. Enjoy!