How to Make and Freeze Cauliflower Rice. Cauliflower rice is low carb, healthy, packed with health benefits and super easy to make!
Today I want to should you how to make cauliflower rice. Did you know that you can also freeze it so you have ready to go stir fry mixes ready!
I think you will love this, especially if you love to meal prep so that everything is healthy and easy!
So to start with, you need to chop the head of cauliflower up into chunks no need to be perfect because it will be going in the food processor.
Then you need to wash the cauliflower thoroughly.
The next step is IMPORTANT! You need to take paper towels or a thin dish towel and squeeze the cauliflower chunks until they are as dry as you can get them…the reason I like to make them dry at THIS point is because it saves you a big messy step that most cauliflower rice recipes call for and that is pulsing it into rice and then putting it in a cheese cloth and squeezing out the moisture after it’s in tiny rice piece! Too messy for me! So make sure the cauliflower is dry! (note: if you don’t get it dry enough you can always do the messy step if you need to, but try to avoid it if you can because it’s messy)
The next step is to place the dry cauliflower into the food processor and pulse until it looks like little rice pieces. You will need to do this multiple times because you will not be able to fit all the cauliflower in 1 food processor.
I had a pretty big head of cauliflower when I did this and I ended up with 7 cups of “rice” so I would say you should end up with 6-8 cups depending on the size of your cauliflower head.
After you have the cauliflower rice you can either toss it in a pan with veggies and some spices and have yourself a healthy low carb stir fry (recipe coming soon!) OR you can place it in large zip lock bags with a date and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month. When placing it in the freezer it’s best to have it lying flat.
When you are freezing the cauliflower rice you can feel free to add in any chopped veggies you would like so it’s ready for a stir fry when you are!
When you are ready to use the frozen cauliflower rice, let it thaw out completely and then you can put it in a skillet with some seasoning/spices and a squeeze of lemon juice and you have a healthy low fat low carb veggie packed meal!
note: if you have a lot of freezer ice on the cauliflower be sure to drain that, a little bit is fine it should cook out but if it's a lot drain it by nipping a tiny whole in the corner of the bag and squeezing! do not skip this otherwise it will be soggy!
another option would be to cover the rice while it is cooking to steam out the moisture!
Extra tip: if you usually cook for 1 person I suggest freezing batches in smaller single serving sizes.
Cauliflower Rice is low carb, low fat and healthy. a few fun facts:
- it fights cancer
- boosts heart health
- rich in vitamins and minerals
- boosts brain health
- helps with detoxification and digestion from the fiber
- full of antioxidants and phytonutrients
get yo' cauliflower rice on peeps! 😉
try it and let me know what you think, leave me a comment and rating below!
I hope you give this a try and let me know what you think!
Leave a comment and a rating if you do try this!
Also take a pic and tag us on social media!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
How to Make and Freeze Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- First start by chopping and rinsing the cauliflower.
- Next using paper towels or a thin dish cloth squeeze the cauliflower pieces DRY and then add them into the food processor…this will need to be done multiple times because you can’t fit the whole cauliflower in the food processor at once!
- Once the “rice” is made either make a fried rice or freeze it in zip lock bags with a date and store in the freezer up to 1 month.
- When ready to use frozen cauliflower rice, remove it from the freezer and let it thaw out most of the way and then use it for stir fry recipes… if there is too much freezer ice then simply place the “rice” in a cheese cloth and squeeze the rice dry… but if it’s only slightly moist it should cook out and dry up in the cooking process!
- Makes 6-8 cups depending on size of cauliflower head!