Chewy and crunchy, sugary and sweet! Vegan Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts! step by step pictures!
if you come here for only healthy recipes you may want to skip this post! I had an idea that I just HAD to make happen! so SUGAR OVERLOAD is going on here today! 😉 if your cool with that, keep reading! 😉 if not don't worry there are more healthy recipes coming! 😉
ever wonder what would happen if you favorite Sugar Cookie got married to your child-hood favorite "breakfast/snack" the Pop Tart!?
welll your about to find out my friends! 😉
So I used to have a thing for those strawberry pop tarts with the brightly sprinkled toppings... I also used to eat sugar cookies almost daily! I know, SO not healthy but hey I was young, I can use that as my excuse right?
anyways I was laying outside one day just relaxing with Nick and the dogs in the yard... kinda in lala land dreamin about all things and we began talking about the blog...
about recipes and everything in between...
and out of the blue (maybe I was a little hungry?) I asked Nick what do you think it would be like if you took a cookie and turned it into a pop tart?
we talked about it and.... came up with the BEST flavor combo ever!
ok SO you got your chewy sugar cookie right...
but these aren't your roll and cookie cut sugar cookies, these are your chewy center and crunhy edges kind of sugar cookie!
the dough of these aren't really roller pin friendly! SO I had to get a little creative to figure out how to really get the strawberry jam inside without letting it get all the holy bloby messy ripped looking center thing going on... (read descrition below)
and then the center, good ol' Strawberry Jam ! I used a more natural one from Trader Joes but lets be honest, this Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts is loaded with sugar so if you can't find a "natural" jam don't worry too much this is your eat in moderation dessert! 😉
and soooo this is what we do!
we use our hands to shape them
then we freeze them only 10 minutes! (because the spatula did not want to pick up the soft doughy rectangle pieces!)
once you take them from the freezer it's like working with pie crust! perfection!
assembly and bake!
and the inside looks likes this! I mean... it's worth indulging in this bad boy!
let me know if you try it! tag me on IG @TwoRaspberries
Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts -Vegan
Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts -Vegan
- Prep Time: 90 mins
- Cook Time: 23 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 53 mins
- Yield: 5 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ⅔ plus 2 tablespoon all purpose unbleached flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- ¼ cup vegan butter melted (I use Earth Balance in the red tub)
- 2 TBSP melted coconut oil
- ½ cup vegan cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I use SILK brand)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Center Filling:
- Strawberry Jam
- 3 cups confectioners/powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBSP vegan butter melted (I used Earth Balance in the red tub)
- mix all your dry ingredients into a large bowl
- in a small bowl mix you almond milk and vinegar and set aside...
- in a small seperate bowl mix your butter and coconut oil and place in the microwave for about 30 seconds until melted
- add you milk/vinegar mixture to your melted butter/oil and add your vanilla and sugar into the mixture too
- pour your wet mixture into your dry mixture and mix well
- place in the fridge for 1 hour
- ***after about 50 minutes pre-heat the oven to 350 at this time***
- spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray)
- take about 1 ½ - 2 tablespoon of dough (if making 5, but if making 10 smaller ones only use about 1 tablespoon of dough per rectangle) and like pictured form a rectangle shape with your dough and place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- once removed from the freezer use a metal spatula to loosen up half of your rectangles...place about 1 tablespoon of filling onto half off your rectangles and then place the ones you loosened up, on top of the ones you just put filling on... use a fork to press down the edges
- place in the oven for 22-24 minutes
- while cooling make your frosting!
- in a bowl add your confectioners/powdered sugar into a bowl
- in a small bowl melt your butter and then add you almond milk and vanilla to it
- mix wet and dry together and stir
- once the Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts are cooled you may frost and sprinkle them!
- ***makes 5 LARGE Sugar Cookie Pop Tarts OR 10 SMALL ones!