These Vegan Gluten Free Berry Pop Tarts are super simple to make! They are refined sugar free and the perfect grab and go breakfast!
It’s already August??? Why why why is summer going so fast? I seriously ask myself this question every year, because it goes by faster and faster as you get older! Not that I’m old … I don’t think?... HA! but you know what I’m sayin. Right?
Moving on… 😉
Pop Tarts! I have wanted to do these for a while and finally I have! Friends, they are really not as hard as they seem, I made some step by step pictures below.
It seems pretty daunting and time consuming but really you could have these done in about an hour including the chilling time. And they are totally worth it! PLUS I have included some step by step directions to help!
Unlike the ones from the store that are filled with all kinds of who knows what! You can actually have pop tarts and know all the ingredients in there! There are only 8 super simple ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen!
The only thing to really be careful with here is to not over mix the dough, but if you are using a masher like what you can see in one of the pictures you should be fine! Basically you just want to have teeny tiny chunks of butter everywhere and not end up with a well mixed melted dough, it should be crumbly and moist and then once you put it in the plastic wrap you can squish it into a dough ball and place in the fridge! Just don’t overthink it and you will be fine! 😉
These are a great snack of even a grab and go breakfast for kids who don’t want to eat breakfast! It’s much better than sending a store bough pop tart that is FULL of sugar and preservatives! I can’t even read all the ingredients on those boxes! HA!
Once you have done it once the second and third time will be easy peezy!
A few things about these Vegan Gluten Free Berry Pop Tarts:
They are EASY just don’t over think the process!
Sweet and tasty
Refined sugar free!
Crunchy edges and soft warm inside
Easy to grab and go!
on to some step by step! 😉 below is the berries that have been simmering, you want to scoop out the berries once they are cooled a little bit and put them in a blender, scoop out about ½ - 1 tablespoon of the liquid and add that as well to help with blending... DO NOT add all the liquid or it will be too runny!
once blended place in the fridge while making the rest of the stuff! below is a picture of it thickened from being in the fridge!
consistency of what the mixture should look like when you are ready to dump it onto plastic wrap and wrap it up for the fridge!
once it has been in the fridge take the ball out, cut it in half and work with that half first to make the bottom layer! as seen in the bottom corner picture, place it between two pieces of plastic wrap for rolling out about ⅛ inch thick... then remove the top layer of plastic wrap and trim the edges and start cutting into squares (or any shape you desire actually)
place the squares on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush on a little bit of almond milk (or any dairy free milk) add a small scoop of the filing on each square (only about 1 - 1 ½ tablespoon each , careful not to overfill)
repeat the rolling out until all the dough is used up! for top and bottom layers.
use a fork to crimp the edges and then brush more almond milk over the top!
place in the fridge again while the oven is pre-heating!
then bake em' up!
see not so hard right?! I promise after the first time it will be a breeze!
p.s. you will only be using half of the filling on the inside and the other half is to keep in the fridge and top each pop tart with before enjoying!
store in the fridge and re-heat 10 seconds in the microwave! toasting them gets them really soft! not good!
I hope you giver these pop tarts a try and let me know what you think! Leave a comment and a rating it’s SUPER helpful! Also snap a pic and tag me on social media!
I hope you give this a try and let me know what you think!
Leave a comment and a rating if you do try this!
Also take a pic and tag us on social media!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Vegan Gluten Free Berry Pop Tarts
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 26 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 6 mins
- Yield: 7 1x
- Category: Breakfast/Snack
- - ½ cup brown rice flour
- - 1 ½ cup oat flour (see notes)
- - ⅓ cup all natural apple sauce
- - 4 tablespoon cold cubed vegan butter (I used Earth Balance in the red package stick form)
- - 2 tablespoon ice cold water
- - Almond milk for brushing over the top (about 2-3 TBSP)
- Option 1: store bough jam
- Option 2:
- - 1 cup frozen blueberries
- - 5-7 small frozen strawberries
- Make the filling first because it needs to go in the fridge for about 30 minutes. To make the filling put the blueberries and strawberries in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat and let it simmer until the blueberries get really soft and the strawberries are pretty soft (it’s ok if the center isn’t fully thawed because it will be blended).
- Once cooled enough to handle add the berries to a blender trying NOT to get the liquid in there, then use about ½ tablespoon to 1 full tablespoon of the liquid added to the berries in the blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and place I the fridge while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Make the oat flour if it isn’t already done (see notes) add the oat and rice flour to a large mixing bowl, add in the apple sauce.
- Cube the butter into tiny chunks trying to handle as little as possible because you want the butter really cold, add the butter to the mixture and use a masher (or hands would probably work) and mash the mixture until the butter is roughly broken up, add the 2 tablespoon cold water and continue BUT try to not mix it, you want it to be a crumbly loose mixture.
- Lay down plastic wrap and pour the mixture onto the plastic wrap, grab all four sides and lift it up, for a ball with the dough and place in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Lay down another pieces of plastic wrap on the counter, remove the dough ball and cut it in half placing half on the plastic wrap on the counter and put the other half back in the fridge.
- Push the dough ball down and place another pieces of plastic wrap over the top, using a rolling pin roll the dough flat about ⅛ thick.
- Remove the top piece of plastic wrap and begin cutting off the edges and cutting the squares out (or whatever shape you want) place this bottom layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue until the dough is all used up. Should get about 6-7 bottom layers
- Using your fingers or a brush, use the almond milk and brush it over each bottom layer. Then add the filling in the center of each one being careful to not get close to the edges, only about 1 ½ tablespoon per pop tart. (you will only use about half the filling the rest is for optional topping)
- Repeat the same steps for the top layer, place them over each pop tart and use a fork to crimp the edges!
- Use the milk to brush over the top of each pop tart again and use a tooth pick to poke a couple holes in each one.
- Place back in the fridge while the oven pre-heats to 350 degrees F
- Place in the oven to bake for 26 minutes
- - Use remaining filling to smear over the top when ready to eat, this is optional. You will only use about ½ the filling for the inside of the pop tarts so store the rest in the fridge until ready to enjoy over each pop tart if you decide to!
- Makes about 6-7 pop tarts
*Store in the fridge and re-heat for 10 seconds in the microwave if necessary, the toaster makes the edges crumble off!
*For my oat flour I used about 1 ¾ cup rolled oats and processed them in a food processor until they turned into flour, I measured it out after to make sure it was 1 ½ cups flour.
*I have not tried it with store bought oat flour but I’m sure it would probably be fine, the texture would be different because the store bought is ground into a much more fine flour but it should be ok.
healthy and deeee-lish! 😉