These Vegan Gluten Free Cake Brownies are a chocolate lovers dream. They are naturally sweetened and free from refined sugars. Vegan and Gluten Free.
Mid-week pick me up anyone??? chocolate almost always makes life better wouldn't you agree?
If you love chocolate cake and you love brownies then I really think you are going to love these cake brownies!
They are refined sugar free my friends! (Except the chocolate chips on top, you can sub. Shaved dark chocolate if you want instead)
brownies come if so many different textures and today we are talking about a cake-y one! doesn't that sounds deeeelilcious?!
A few things I want to tell you about these, they are made from buckwheat and tapioca flour… buckwheat is slightly more dry in texture and tapioca has a bit more of a chewy texture in case you are not already familiar with that kind of flour.
With that being said I choose a measurement of 1 ¼ cup buckwheat with ¼ cup tapioca flour for the recipe here, it resulted in a cake like consistency BUT if you would prefer a more brownie/chewy consistency you can change it to ¾ cup each … it’s really a personal preference thing, I like the first measurement best (maybe I was actually craving cake??? HA) but Nick and my mom prefer the second option better… I have included the second option in the recipe notes!
Ok moving on, when you remove these from the oven you MUST let them sit for 30 minutes before cutting into them! Please do not skip this step they need time to sit and cool.
They are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and applesauce, no refined sugar here!
I always like to note that if you aren’t used to natural sweetened desserts this may be a shock for you but once your taste buds adjust you will never want the refined crap again! 😉
and of course, my brownie and cake loving self also just could not resist the classic combo of having "ice cream" with it! so naturally I made some banana nicecream to go along with it and I really really think you should too! 😉 or whatever kind of ice cream you like.
These Vegan Gluten Free Cake Brownies are:
Chocolaty and cake’y!
Amazing with nicecream or ice cream!
Vegan + Gluten Free!
Ok! I really hope you give these a try and let me know what you think! Also take a pic and tag me on social media I would love to see!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Vegan Gluten Free Cake Brownies
Vegan Gluten Free Cake Brownies
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 23 mins
- Total Time: 33 mins
- Yield: 9
- Category: Brownies/Dessert
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- - 1 ¼ cups buckwheat flour
- - ¼ cup tapioca flour
- - 1 teaspoon baking powder
- - ½ cup plain unsweetened cocoa powder
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- - ½ cup melted vegan butter (I use Earth Balance in the red package)
- - ½ cup pure maple syrup (watch out for added ingredients)
- - ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I like SILK brand)
- - ¼ cup unsweetened natural apple sauce
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add in/toppings
- - ⅓ cup Vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- - ⅓ cup And chopped pecans (I used DIAMOND nuts brand)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add butter to a separate bowl and melt it in the microwave.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the butter mixture and stir.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix well.
- Add in chocolate chips and pecans if desired OR what I did it added them to the top of the brownie.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes.
- Let cool 30 minutes before cutting and eating! Do not skip this step!!!
- Makes 9 brownies.
*if you would prefer a more brownie/chewy consistency instead of cake consistency you can change the flour ratio from 1 ¼ buckwheat and ¼ cup tapioca to ¾ cup each instead.
**Best when eaten the first day but can keep up to 2 days and place in the microwave the second day for 15 seconds to re-moisten the texture otherwise it may be slightly dry the second day.
Keep overnight in a sealed container, not saran wrap over the top, an actual sealed container or even a zip lock bag!
dessert. simple and delicious!