These Vegan Gluten Free Caramel Brownies are super dense and moist. Refined sugar free, naturally sweetened with maple syrup and applesauce!
Yummmmy yummmmy yummmmy I got caramel chocolaty good-ness love in my tummy! 😉
These brownies my friends! They are dense and moist, ooey and gooey and totally need to be made by you asap!
Is there anything better than a moist brownie + a movie on a Friday night??? maybe some banana nicecream topping it???? just a thought. 😉 (p.s. nicecream is just frozen bananas blended until it forms a creamy + cold whipped texture resembling ice cream)
OK, the flour base ... it's buckwheat and tapioca, the tapioca is what gives it the dense chewy texture.
Before anyone asks … because I know some of you might wonder, no I don’t have a substitute for the tapioca flour, I’m sorry :-/ it’s just what works best for this recipe and I think works really well with buckwheat flour in general.
(this picture above is a how-to for the center and the top layer!)
The caramel though, did anyone make it yet from last week? Well it works SO well in this recipe I mean what goes better than chocolate and caramel? Ahhhh I think nothing! 😉
For the caramel, I have a picture showing you exactly how I added it to this recipe (pics above), but the not so obvious part about the picture that I wrote in the recipe is that there is TWO layers of caramel in this brownie! Half the batter goes into the baking pan and the caramel drizzle/swirl goes in, then the second half of the batter goes on top with another caramel drizzle and swirl on top!
I am telling you the caramel in the center gives it a really nice moist quality to the center of these!
Another thing about the caramel, this brownie only uses half of the actual “caramel” recipe but trust me you should just make the full recipe because it’s so good on top of nicecream or ice cream or even dipping fruit in it!
So you totally need to just make the whole recipe for the caramel!
A few more things about these Vegan Gluten Free Caramel Brownies, they are:
Moist and dense!
Chocolaty and caramel-y gooey center!
Refined sugar free!
Amazing with nicecream or ice cream.
Great for anyone who doesn’t like to feel like crap after eating a dessert!
I really hope you give these a try and let me know what you think! Also take a pic and tag me on social media so I can see!!!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Vegan Gluten free Caramel Brownies
Vegan Gluten Free Caramel Brownies
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 27 mins
- Total Time: 47 mins
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Brownies/Dessert
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- - ¾ cup buckwheat flour
- - ¾ cup tapioca flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- - ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- - ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- - ½ cup melted vegan butter (I use Earth Balance I the red container)
- - ½ cup pure maple syrup
- - 1 teaspoon vanilla
- - ¼ cup unsweetened natural apple sauce
- - ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I like SILK brand)
- CENTER/TOP: layer
- 4 oz. of CARAMEL SAUCE
- Pre heat the oven at 350 degrees F and line an 8X8 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Prepare the caramel sauce using ¾ cups water (12 pitted medjool dates, 1 teaspoon vanilla and ¾ cup water) this will make 8 oz and you only need 4 oz. but I recommend just making the whole batch!
- Add all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir it up.
- Add butter to a smaller bowl and microwave until melted.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the melted butter. (this does NOT include the caramel sauce)
- Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until well mixed!
- Take your lined baking dish and using only HALF the brownie batter, put a scoop of batter right in the center and one in each corner, spread evenly!
- Use a piping bag or a zip lock baggy (see picture in post) and pipe lines and use a tooth pick to drag through to make a swirl in the CENTER layer!
- Add the rest of the batter on top and carefully spread out evenly, repeat the caramel drizzle and tooth pick swirl on the top.
- Place in the oven for 27-28 minutes, tooth pick may not come out clean in the center because of the caramel in the center so poke a couple places including the edges until it looks mostly clean.
- Once done, remove from the oven and LET IT SIT for at least 30 minutes before attempting to cut into bars! DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Wipe the knife between each cut because the caramel is sticky!
- Makes 9 bars
- Best the first day but kept in a sealed container can be kept two days and re-heated the next day!
ooey gooey and delicious!