This Healthy Black Bean Sweet Potato Burger is really easy, extra's are freeze able for later, really healthy and full of flavor! Vegan and Gluten Free
I can't believe it's already the second week of November! I know time flies by fast but...is it just me? Or doesn't it seem to go faster October-December? Then it draggggs on until spring when the weather warms back up? Do you agree? Or am I just talking crazy here?
Anyways! I loveee this burger guys and gals! 😉 It's so simple to make, it takes a bit of prep but you can make a double batch and store them in the freezer for up to a month and when your ready just heat them in a fry pan until warm and crispy on the outside!
I like to make a big batch of these so they can be ready for dinner! Sometimes I eat them on a bun as a burger and other times I just eat them over a big salad! These really are a super fast meal if you prep them in advance!
This one is kind of similar to my Sweet Potato Quinoa Patty's except these have more flavor, they are much bigger, and they have rice and beans... Ok I guess maybe the only similarity is the sweet potato part? Ha! But they are both delicious!
So about these Healthy Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers:
Flavored with subtle chili flavor (which you can adjust if you want more!)
Sweet potato, and black beans make this very filling
Corn gives a little sweetness
Great for a prep in advance meal
Tastes great on a burger bun or over a salad
Soft inside with a slight crisp on the outside
Great for lunch or dinner
NOTE: these burgers are fragile, FULL of flavor but still be careful when flipping in the pan you can't just flip and smack then down HA! you need to handle with care! 😉 carefully TURN them over!
p.s. I also suggest using a sticky rice like white or basmati, brown rice works too but it's not the best option.
Anyways, I hope you give these a try and let me know what you think! Did you add more chili powder? The peppers? Did you eat it over a salad or on a burger bun?
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
Healthy Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers
Healthy Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers WITH a FREEZER option
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: burger/lunch/dinner
- 10 oz. of sweet potatoes (1 ⅓ cups smashed after steaming, or approx. 2 smaller sweet potatoes peeled and chopped) *see notes**
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used basmati) about ¾ cups dry maybe a little more read package instructions.
- ¾ cup black beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup plain corn (I used frozen, cooked and drained!)
- ¼ a red onion chopped finely
- ½ tbsp olive oil optional see notes*
- 2-3 teaspoon chili powder (I used 2 ½)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional: jalapeño or bell peppers chopped finely about ⅓ cup
- FLAX egg optional see notes! (1 tablespoon flax seeds ground up which will make 1 ½ tablespoon plus 3 tablespoon water)
- 1 avocado
- ½ lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- First get a stove top pan and add ¼ cup of water to it, (leave it off)
- Start pealing and chopping (if not using frozen bag) your sweet potatoes and placing them in the pan with the a TINY splash of water, once added turn on medium heat and cover the pan with a lid and let simmer until soft, 20-30 minutes depending on how small you chopped the sweet potatoes. (they should be mash-able with a fork or spoon like mashed potatoes)
- Prep the rest of your ingredients, chop your onion and place in a large bowl, add your black beans that have been drained and rinsed, add your corn, add your rice* see notes and peppers if choosing to!
- Once potatoes are cooked and soft turn off the heat, using a spoon smash them until they look like mashed potatoes, some lumps are ok but try to get rid of as many as possible.
- Add the smashed sweet potatoes to the other mixture of ingredients and mix everything together
- Add your olive oil if using, salt, pepper, chili powder and mix everything well!
- add flax egg here if you are choosing too.
- To cook, form large party's and place them on a skillet pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and cook until browned on both sides (flipping when needed) mine took about 5-7 minutes on each side.
- To prepare the spread:
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor (I use a mini Nija food processor) the avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper, chili powder, olive oil and blend until creamy.
- Apply some spread to one side of your bun, lettuce and tomato to the other, place a burger on the tomato and top with you top bun!
- I got 8 large party's from this recipe
Notes: if you are using microwave rice you can start cooking it after you get the potatoes going and then just add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, of you are using a rice cooker get that going first before the potatoes!
***my "sweet potatoes" were orange! not white. this is super confusing to people but sweet potatoes are actually white and yams are orange but my package says sweet potatoes and they were orange so if you are using fresh ones use the orange ones which are technically yams.
*Olive oil is optional, the only reason for this is to help it from sticking to the pan, if you are using non-stick spray you should be fine leaving this out.
the Flax egg is 1 tablespoon of flax seeds ground up (which will be 1½ tablespoon after being ground) mixed with 3 tablespoon water and let it sit until it forms a gel consistency... I personally DO NOT use this but I have tested it and it will make it slightly more formed if you are having trouble keeping it formed... so my suggestion is to mix everything and leave this the very last thing and decide if you need it!
Store in freezer up to one month... Fry them up first before freezeing and to re-heat just fry up in a pan until warm and crispy on the outside!
due to some people emailing me for nutrition breakdowns below are screen shots of a nutrition calculator I used to give you some info. ALSO note that this does INCLUDE the optional bell pepper listed in the burger but it does NOT include salt/pepper to taste and the Avocado spread also does NOT include salt/pepper to taste.
also note that not everyone has the same brands of food so it can vary greatly, as well as how, and how long food is prepared can drastically differ the nutritional breakdown of a recipe. Different seasons also make a difference in nutritional facts of produce. Please do not rely on this nutritional breakdown if you have a serous condition PLEASE look at your own packages and tally up the nutritional facts based exactly on the foods/brands you are using!
if you want to get the nutriton facts yourself or use a different recipe I used THIS calculator!