This 5 Ingredient Sweet Potato Spinach Quinoa Salad is super simple to make, healthy and only requires 5 simple ingredients! Vegan and Gluten Free.
And so the love of Quinoa continues!
I would like to just say this first, for those of you who follow along with all my weekly recipes if you do not love quinoa as much as I do just note that recipes like this you can totally substitute rice instead of quinoa if you prefer! 😉
Now that I said that let’s talk about how easy and delicious this 5 Ingredient Sweet Potato Spinach Quinoa Salad is!!!
I think you are going to LOVE it because it is full of fiber and very filling but has a nice sweet-ness from the sweet potato!
I know we are all busy and a recipe with only 5 ingredients is not only manageable and quick to make but it tastes delicious and satisfying as well! Plus the more simple foods you eat the easier it is for your body to digest it and that’s always a plus if you ask me! 😉
I’m all about simplicity, but you probably already know that!
I really do believe that once you train your taste buds to enjoy natural foods, you experience a whole new level of appreciation for the natural flavors of foods!
Let’s break down the 5 ingredients real quick!
Quinoa I always have this on hand but like I mentioned above if you prefer rice then go for it!
Don’t get me wrong I love rice too but quinoa in my opinion is much faster to make, it takes like half the time to cook as opposed to rice, and quinoa is also a great source of vegan protein and essential amino acids so basically it’s like super healthy!
Next is sweet potatoes! I just chopped them up into bite sized cubes and tossed them in a pan sprayed with non-stick spray (unless you are using a non-stick pan than you can skip that) and let them cook up while the quinoa was cooking! I left the skin on but if you prefer to peel them that’s totally cool too!
note: leaving the skin on actually has some health benefits, the skin contains fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C and E, folate, potassium and iron!
Spinach! Green and wonderful and a total superfood! For the spinach I tossed it in the pan with the quinoa once it was done cooking because unless I am eating an actual salad I prefer to let my greens get a little more soft, so once the quinoa is done toss the spinach in there and give it a stir and let it sit for a couple minutes with the lid on just long enough to soften (not wilt) the spinach!
The dressing! I used veganaise and lemon juice, it’s a perfect refreshing simple combo! If you want a little spicier flavor I added a couple additional options in the recipe but they are OPTIONAL if you want to, but totally not necessary! Obviously that would make it more than 5 ingredients as well! 😉
I also added an olive oil option in the recipe for those of you who are not a fan of veganaise! honestly I like both options, they are really different flavors but both still delish!
and of course I added additional spices to that option as well just in case you don't care about the whole 5 ingredient thing! 😉
And if you have other veggies on hand feel free to toss them in the mix I mean you really can’t mess this recipe up!
I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think! Take a pic and tag me on social media!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don't forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
5 Ingredient Sweet Potato Spinach Quinoa Salad
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa about ½ cup dry, I used mixed color quinoa but use what you like
- 1-2 sweet potatoes chopped depending on size
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 tablespoon veganaise
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Add a small amount of black pepper and chili or cayenne powder to the dressing to add additional flavor and spice! about ¼- ½ teaspoon will work
DRESSING option # 2:
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- add the additional optional ingredients for more flavor!
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ¼-½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Cook quinoa according to directions on your package (mine was ½ cup dry quinoa to 1 cup water, but I always add a little less water than what it calls for because I find its less soggy that way.)
- Chop the sweet potato (s) into small cubes while the quinoa is cooking and place them in a stove top skillet on medium-high heat and cook them until soft and browned. (about 15-20 minutes if you put a LID on the pan, about 30 minutes with no lid on the pan, and depending on size and how high the heat it is on)
- Once the quinoa is done, add the spinach to the quinoa pot and stir it in, let it sit with the cover still on the quinoa for about 3 minutes to soften the spinach.
- Serve the quinoa/spinach mixture topped with the sweet potatoes.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a bowl and drizzle over the top!
- This serves 2 lunches or 1 big dinner
- If that’s not enough dressing for your personal taste feel free to double it, it’s whatever your personal taste is!
healthy fiber filled power lunch!