How to make zucchini noodles and how to cook them super quick and easy, plus my favorite zucchini recipes taking less than 10 minutes total to prepare!
Today I have another “Back to Basics” post to share with you, if you're wondering what that means? Well I started a category on here for posts that really aren’t “recipes” they're more like “how to’s” example: how to cook spaghetti squash or how to make zucchini noodles things that fall into that category if ya know what I’m mean?! A “Resources” area I guess, but with a much funner name! Alright lets get right into this post.
Zucchini is high in water and fiber which is great for hydration and digestion. It’s contains a significant amount of vitamin and minerals such as B6, riboflavin, C, K, folate, potassium, manganese as well as containing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant phytonutrients. It can be eaten raw or cooked or even baked into desserts such as zucchini bread or zucchini muffins. Now that we know a little bit about this magical vegetable lets get right in to how we are going to make these zucchini noodles today shall we?!
How to cook zucchini
There are many ways to cook zucchini (you also don’t have to cook it you can eat it raw! … It’s not very tasty that way though).
Zucchini can be cooked in the oven, on the grill, in a skillet, in a pot of water boiled, steamed or pressure cooked. Today we will be talking about lightly steaming our zucchini noodles in a skillet on medium to low heat on the stove top with a cover, I find this to be the best way to cook the noodles!
How to make Zucchini Noodles
Making zucchini noodles is actually much easier than you think, I use my Inspiralizer set on letter B for the shape but you can literally use any zoodle maker that you have on hand, some might work better than others but hey do what works for you!
TIP: you could also just use a skin peeler and make thicker ribbon shapes if you have one of those on hand!
So obviously start by washing your zucchini, chop both ends off and send it through the spiralizer or peeler and that’s it, it’s time to cook this big bowl of zoodles you just made!
How to cook Zucchini Noodles
My favorite method is to take my non-stick pan (use spray or a drizzle of olive oil if you don’t have a non-stick pan) place a couple handfuls of zucchini noodles in the pan with a lid and steam it on medium to low heat for about 2-4 minutes until they become trendy but not soggy.
NOTE: too many noodles at once will result in a longer cook time and more likely to become soggy so I recommend doing them in a few smaller batches.
(water will build up at the bottom of the pan so be sure to either drain it or use tongs to pull the zucchini noodles out of the pan.
Zucchini Recipes (my favorite easy ways to eat Zucchini Noodles)
- I LOVEEE them just sautéed plain and topped with my favorite marinara sauce, it’s just like spaghetti! Not to mention it’s SUPER fast and OOOBER EASY literally taking less than 10 minutes from start to finish (like 5 minutes to be more realistic, the dish washing takes more time HA)
- Second I like to eat them lightly sautéed and add in some chopped mushroom, onion, tomato and garlic either to the skillet or just raw on top the steamed zoodles and adding some avocado and hemp seeds on top.
- And lastly I love to blend up some avocado with a squeeze of lime pinch of salt and pepper and water to thin it into a creamy avocado sauce dressing to top the lightly sautéed zucchini noodles.
How to make Zucchini Noodles
How to make zucchini noodles and the easiest way to cook them plus my favorite way to make a quick and healthy meal out of zucchini noodles.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Method: Sautéed/Steamed
Zucchini (as many as you would like depending o how many zoodles you want to make)
- Start by washing and chopping the ends off the zucchini.
- Next start spiralizing those zucchini noodles!
- Place a couple handfuls of the zucchini noodles in a non-stick skillet be sure to not over load it otherwise it will take longer to cook and more likely result in soggy noodles, cover with a lid and cook/steam for 2-4 minutes on medium to low heat just until they are tender. (spray or lightly oil if you are not using a non-stick)
- Re-peat until all the zucchini noodles are done!
- Top with you favorite marinara or chopped vegetables raw or lightly sautéed such as mushroom, onion, garlic, tomato and lastly avocado on top after it’s all cooked for some healthy fats
don't add too many zucchini noodles to the pan at once otherwise they will take too long to cook and then they will become wilted and soggy, small batches for shorter times works best! (one medium sized zucchini about 12 inches should fit in a large skillet)
Keywords: Zucchini noodles, zoodles, healthy meal, plant based, low carb, veggie noodles, quick and easy, zucchini recipe