If you’re used to eating oatmeal in the morning, this flavor-packed Quinoa Breakfast Bowl is a great way to change things up! Loaded with protein and fiber, this hearty breakfast is sure to keep you full all the way to lunchtime!
Why You Will Love This Quinoa Breakfast Bowl Recipe
- Quick and Easy: All you need are seven simple ingredients and five minutes of prep time to make this vegan gluten free breakfast.
- Refined Sugar-Free: This quinoa cereal skips the refined stuff and is instead naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
- Protein-Packed: This breakfast bowl packs in a good amount of protein and fiber as well as other vitamins and minerals. On top of that, quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein source!
Here's a look at the simple ingredients you need for your bowl. The full list and quantities of each are in the recipe card further down the page.
- Quinoa: This is the base of the bowl and provides most of the protein. You can use white, red, or black quinoa or a tri-color blend.
- Pure Maple Syrup: Adds a touch of sweetness to your breakfast quinoa bowl.
- Hemp Seeds: Add a bit more protein as well as both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Ground Cinnamon: Adds a bit of cinnamon flavor to your quinoa bowl breakfast.
- Non-Dairy Milk: For pouring over the quinoa. I prefer Silk almond milk, but you can use any plant-based milk of your choosing.
- Natural Almond Butter: Adds healthy fats and a bit more protein.
- Chopped Dark Chocolate: For sprinkling on top of your vegan breakfast bowl. I use Endangered Species Brand, but you can use any non-dairy dark chocolate you’d like.
- Hemp Seeds: Feel free to swap the hemp seeds with flax seeds or chia seeds instead.
- Almond Butter: Swap the almond butter for another nut butter, such as cashew or peanut butter. For a nut-free option, use a seed butter such as sunflower or pumpkin seed butter.
- Maple Syrup: Substitute the maple syrup with another sweetener like date syrup or agave.
- Dark Chocolate: You can use vegan chocolate chips, regular size or mini, in place of the chopped chocolate.
How to Make a Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Step 1: Place the quinoa in a saucepan with water.
- Step 2: Cook the quinoa according to package directions.
- Step 3: Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl. Pour the milk over the quinoa mixture.
- Step 4: Stir in the maple syrup, cinnamon, and hemp seeds. Last, add the almond butter and chopped dark chocolate pieces.
- Pre-cook the quinoa: If you’re short on time, cook the quinoa the night before and put the rest of the bowl together in the morning.
- Experiment with mix-ins and toppings: Wondering what to put in a quinoa breakfast bowl? Try mixing in a spoonful of my chocolate date sauce or vegan caramel for some extra sweetness. You can also try using different toppings such as shredded coconut, sliced bananas, granola, or chopped nuts.
- Try it with homemade milk: This vegan quinoa breakfast bowl is delicious with our homemade cashew milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or almond milk.
- Storing: It is best to enjoy your fully prepared quinoa bowl immediately as it can become soggy with the addition of the milk. However, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator if needed.
It’s not necessary, but I personally choose to soak my quinoa for easier digestion. First, rinse the quinoa and then soak it in water overnight. Then drain and rinse again before cooking.
Yes! Feel free to make several portions of quinoa which you can store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Don’t add the mix-ins or toppings until ready to serve.
More Easy Vegan Breakfast Recipes
Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- ¼ cup dry quinoa rinse and drain
- 1-2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup non-dairy milk I like SILK Almond
- 1 tablespoon natural almond butter
- chopped dark chocolate I use Endangered Species brand
- Cook quinoa: Rinse and drain quinoa, place in a pot with ½ cup water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid for about 12 minutes. Fluff with a fork once cooked.
- Add quinoa to a bowl, mix in the maple syrup, cinnamon and hemp seeds.
- Pour the non-dairy milk over the top (like cereal) add the almond butter or any nut or seed butter and the chopped dark chocolate.