Oil Fee Kale Pesto Pasta is super quick and easy to make, vegan with a gluten free option, oil free, low fat and packed full of super healthy kale!
This recipe has garlic and little carrot pumpkins, does this count as being festive for Halloween?!?!?!
It totally does, I mean carrot pumpkins!!! I’m slightly obsessed can ya’ tell? I mean they are so cute! Keep reading for deets about them!
SO, I think you are going to love how creamy this oil free kale pesto is, I mean green sauce and carrot pumpkins I think you’re kids are totally going to be fooled into eating healthy food don’t ya think?!
The kale pesto is super easy my friends! Basically blend up some kale + peas, and season with some garlic (if you want), add a splash of lemon and water! That's it, smooth, green and totally healthy! I mean kale… enough said!
I used baby kale for this pesto, if you can’t find baby kale feel free to substitute spinach… don’t try this with the regular adult kale, it won’t work very good!
Also I used regular pasta but if you want to use a gluten free variety feel free! Just be sure to rinse after draining the cooking water because GF varieties tend to leave a little bit of slimy texture on the pasta sometimes, so just give it a quick rinse!
Ok! The carrot pumpkins! Aren’t they adorable! You can see how to make there here! I found it on Pinterest and I had to try it out! O.B.S.E.S.S.E.D. 😉
I think carrots should always be cut into cute lil orange pumpkins don’t you?!
I will admit though, I’m awful with a knife so Nick make these lil pumpkins for me! Of course if you are reading this and it’s not October feel free to just chop up regular carrot slices! 😉
Yellow peppers! I sautéed them up a little bit because I don’t like raw peppers, but if you don’t mind them being raw you can totally skip that step!
This Oil Fee Kale Pesto Pasta is:
HEALTHY!...I mean hello KALE!
Packed full of garlic flavor
Kid friendly flavor that is secretly healthy!
I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think! Comment and rate it below! You rock! Also take a pic, tag me on social media I love seeing what you make!!!
Oil Free Kale Pesto Pasta
Oil Free Kale Pesto Pasta, vegan, gluten free option, oil free, low fat!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- Category: Dinner/Pasta
- 8 oz. of pasta (GF if desired)
- 2 cups of peas I used canned no sodium (1 cup for pesto and 1 cup to mix in with pasta)
- ½ a yellow pepper
- 1 cup carrots (chopped up or made into pumpkins see here for help)
- 2 cup loosely packed baby kale (spinach would be fine also)
- 1 cup of peas (reserved from the 2 cups listed above)
- 1 clove of garlic (optional, OR add ¼ tsp garlic powder instead)
- 1 ½ TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 TBSP water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Pinch of fresh black pepper
- Pinch of salt optional but not necessary
- First start by making the carrot pumpkinsif you are doing them, if not just chop up the carrots and set them aside. Chop up the pepper. The pepper can be added raw, or you can lightly sautee it up which is what I choose to do.
- Next bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add the pasta to the water, set a timer for about 4-5 minutes, check the pasta at that time if it seems about half way done cooking then you want to add the carrots to the water so they can slightly cook, they won’t gt mushy but they will get a little more soft!
- While the pasta is cooking prepare the pesto by simply adding all the pesto ingredients into a mini food processor (must be a mini one otherwise it won’t get smooth because it’s not enough ingredients for a large food processor)
- Once the pasta is done cooking drain it and add into a large bowl. Add the other 1 cup of peas as well as the yellow pepper. Add the pesto to the pasta mixture and give it all a stir!
- Serves 2-3
pesto made healthy+YUM!